Monday, January 29, 2007

Gimme That Old Time Religion

The Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs of Life

The Louvin Brothers weren't in one of these new-fangled new-age-hippy religions. Hell no, they were part of the old time, hell-fire-and-damnation church. The church of the fightin' Yahweh.

This is their first album, at least that I can find. It is made up of twelve songs of death, redemption, cheatin', lyin', stealin', drinkin', and the fires of hell.

Great cover, by the way. Capitol Records stuck with different variations of this model for pretty much all of their country albums all the way into the early '70s. Don't mess with success, I guess.

9 comments:

Phillip said...

This is completely off topic, but did you ever post an album at PLO called "Touchy" or by an artist by that name? Crazy mexican dude who talks a lot, about touching. Ring a bell? I'd really appreciate a tracklist or other info. I've got this pile of untitled mp3s over here that I'm trying to make sense of...

Shane said...

This won't answer your question about what he posted at PLO, but that song is by Luie Luie. It's featured on the outsider compilation, 'Songs in the Key of Z'...there's another Luie Luie song on the second compilation.

I like when he says, "I play every instrument myself...all by myself."

TBA said...

Luie Luie - Touchy
1) El Touchy
2) Tastee Touchy
3) Touch Me With All Your Heart
4) Tortilla Touchy
5) Sweet and Tender Touchy
6) Touch of San Antone
7) Lost
8) Touch of the Pharoahs
9) Touch of Life
10) Lord What a Wonderful World

ti said...

phillip did you get those mp3's sorted out... I can help you--he's my dad.

ti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

The sleeve you show isn't the original; it's one of a series they introduced for their country catalogue in the sixties.

The original is a classic.