Friday, January 26, 2007

More Guitar Skronk

Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman

Since the first Sonny post has been a big hit, and I had it burned to CD already, let's toss out the second Sharrock record. Even though Monkey-Pockie-Boo is the one with the reputation, I find this to be the superior record.

First, there is more variety here. A couple parts almost sound like jazz, and there's a real cool acoustic interlude on side two. I also think that Linda's singing goes in more directions here.

Second, I think the band is better. These guys are clearly more used to playing out stuff. Try to dig what the rhythm section is doing throughout this record - it's really pretty neat. The recording quality is better than the first one, too, which allows the instruments to stand out a little more.

Anyway, this is really good stuff. If you are a guitar player, I'll highly recommend you put both of these records in frequent rotation. They'll help you get out of your rut every time.

If anyone has his Space Ghost soundtrack, I'd sure love to hear it. Can you help me out over here?


11 comments:

ratm said...

This blog is absolutely outstanding, man. Every time you update their's a new gem waiting here.

TBA said...

Thanks for stopping by, ratm.

Chardman said...

Here's Space Ghost for you.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TD7IZ5XI
Sadly, it was one of the last things he recorded, if I'm not mistaken.

Iain said...

Awesome posts man....

TBA said...

Chardman is the man! I'm having chard for lunch to celebrate. Thanks, rocker.

fd said...

Had this back in the 70´s.been looking for it a long time...Thanks a lot!
From Brasil.

Dr Wommm said...

You heard Linda and Sonny's looped out funk album, Paradise?

Dr Wommm said...

Yep, I agree, Money-Pockie-Boo is a killer slab of muck, but Black Woman pointed the way to a new way to play jazz guitar and too few people listened. And, chardman, y're right, Space Ghost was his last recording. The band I was in at the time were scheduled to play support on a Last Exit reunion gig in London at the time. No musician has had a greater impact on me, (with the possible exception of Helios Creed), Mr Sharrock was a genius, a true original, and more importantly, a wonderful and generous human fucking being. He is sadly missed

R3000 said...

Hi there ! Thank you - and I have to agree to Dr Wommm: highly recommended: Sonny and Linda Sharrocks "Paradise" - at least her vocals on the opener "Apollo" doesnt sound like she was tortured ;) ...

R3000 said...

ok, I posted it...
http://themoreyouthinkaboutit.blogspot.com/

enjoy !

Dr. Nothing said...

Thanks for a GREAT selection of interesting wax! This link is only to the 2nd half of the album, though. Is there another I'm missing?