Sunday, January 14, 2007

RIP Alice Coltrane

John Coltrane - Live At the Village Vanguard Again

Alice Coltrane died today at age 69. Let's take a minute to remember one of the last of the giants.


That's right. I called her one of the giants. You want to make something of it? She took a lot of shit in her day - the Yoko of jazz, kind of. But she didn't deserve it (neither did Yoko, but that's another post).

Don't believe me? Have a listen to this one. McCoy Tyner was and is a bad-ass piano player, and a hard act to follow with Trane's band. But where McCoy was all spiky and angular, with oddball voicings and suspended fourths, Alice was calm as an ocean breeze.


And putting that calm underneath the big round tone of JC, even with the antics of Pharoah, gave this music a devotional feel that noone else can match. This is one of my favorite jazz joints ever, so give it a try.

I can hear you whiners now: oh, sure, she can hold her own among titans, but her own albums... Give me a couple days, and I'll show you that her solo records are the goods, as well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11773455/John_Coltrane.rar

6 comments:

archigram said...

Sad. Her records are so amazing. so much intensity yet calm. She's just as, if not more important, than any of the regular big shots. Universal Consciousness and World Galaxy alone can attest to this.

Great new site, btw!

gomonkeygo said...

Nice post. I will miss Alice. I'm just glad I've been aware of her music and it's been a positive thing of beauty in my life. I came to much prefer her playing to that of ol' Heavy Hands, myself. And her solo albums are stunning.

TBA said...

Archigram, my man! Good to hear from you. I'm probably going to put up Universal Consciousness later this week, maybe another, too. I don't have World Galaxy, though.

fuzztunnel said...

awesome. i love AC, never heard this record. I've got a vinyl rip of world galaxy if you'd like it...

TBA said...

Oh yeah, Fuzz, I'd like to hear World Galaxy. If it's good enough for Archigram...

fuzztunnel said...

Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy
(vinyl rip)

tinyurl.com/2gqcrt