Friday, February 9, 2007

The Noises of Your Body Are Part of This Record

The Bonzo Dog Band - The Doughnut In Granny's Greenhouse

They don't come any better than the Bonzos, Bozo. And this is the toppermost of the poopermost in the Dog Band pile.

When you first listen, you'll hear some jokes and parodies. Good ones, natch, but parodies aren't usually much for repeat spins. As you get deeper, you'll hear a scary amount of versatility and variety. Never any flashiness, just in the pocket grooving. Every style from 1920 forward, treated with respect.

Listen, if you will to My Pink Half of the Drainpipe. The Humanoid Boogie. The perfect song for England in 1968: Can Blue Men Sing the Whites?

The difference between the Bonzo humor and a guy like Frank Zappa is that they are never mean, sarcastic, or ironic, the three things that kill comedy. Well, those and not being funny.

8 comments:

humppazoid said...

Hello!
Your blog very nice!
Especiaaly thanx for Sharrock!
btw - may I ask You to re-upload Monkey-Pockie-Boo, please?

R3000 said...

Cool ! Thank you for this one - I discovered the The Bonzo Dog Band last month and I really the stoned bunch ! nice, nice, nice...

R3000 said...

hm, "DIG" is the word that is missing in the last post...

Bob the HumBlogger said...

I have this record on vinyl packed away somewhere in the attic, and I'm eager to hear it again, but for some reason RapidShare in not cooperating.

TBA said...

Beware ye, false Bobs.

Jake Bickel said...

Thanks for the upload. I have to agree with your opinion on Zappa's "humor". I've been listening to him since 1966 and I like the music but not the antics.

Jimmy Jazz said...

Can I get a re-up on this?

Tony said...

Brings back old memories . . . I have a couple of tracks on very old cassettes of vinyl records so I would love to have a better version - but rapidshare says it's not there - could you kindly reupload? Thanks much